(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) A local professor has decided to run for a state representative seat.
Dr. Bob Bergland is currently a journalism professor at Missouri Western.
Bergland announced his candidacy for Missouri house of Representatives District 9 against Republican Delus Johnson.
He intends on bringing a focus on ethics to state government as well as education.
"Some of the things that I think are near and dear to my heart that would naturally be a part of my agenda would be education," Bergland said. 'Not only at the higher level of course but also pre-k, elementary and secondary education."
Bergland says that while he is running as a democrat, he does see himself as a moderate in most of the issues facing the government.
No democrat has run for the District 9 seat since 2010.
- Professor Running for Missouri State House
- Missouri Western Professor Recognized for Work in Journalism Education
- Northwest Runs Past Missouri Western
- 3 GOP candidates running in Missouri's 11th District House race
- Professor Explains Net Neutrality Repeal
- Missouri Western Women Continue Post-Season Run
- Northwest Missouri lawmaker announces run for governor
- Western Professor Receives Governor’s Award
- Missouri House Passes Medical Marijuana Bill
- Shields defeats O'Dell for Missouri House seat