The St. Joseph Red Cross is searching for a few local heroes. The organization is kicking-off the Red Cross Heroes Campaign, a fundraiser to support the services offered by the local Red Cross.
The St. Joseph Red Cross provides disaster relief, blood services, health and safety training and services to members of the armed forces in over 18 counties in northwest Missouri and northeast Kansas.
The Red Cross is looking for 100 volunteers to raise $1,500 each as a ‘Hero’ for disaster relief. Anyone in the community can volunteer to be a Hero for the fundraiser, or work as a team with a church group, school or organization to meet their fundraising goal. The St. Joseph Red Cross has set a goal to raise $150,000 through the Heroes campaign in 2018.
Buchanan County Western District Commissioner Ron Hook said he became involved with the local Red Cross in 2011, after the flood in the southwestern part of Buchanan County.
“They [St. Joseph residents] were out of their homes for 93 days, and the Red Cross was there every day with two hot meals and a breakfast for people to eat and watch their home to make sure everything was secure,” Hook said. “After the flood, they came back with supplies to clean the homes out. They really thought of everything when this flood happened. The people down there really appreciated it and my hearts been attached to the Red Cross ever since.”
This year the Hook family will be serving as the committee chair of the Heroes campaign.
“It’s for a great cause. I think everybody in Buchanan County either knows someone or have experienced some devastation where the Red Cross was there to help and assist with them,” Hook said.
Local Heroes will be collecting donations for the Red Cross through April 30th. For more information on making a donation to the Red Cross or to sign up to be a Hero, contact Angie Springs at email@example.com.
- Red Cross in Search of Local Heroes
- Red Cross Supports Local Veterans
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Deploys to California
- Local Red Cross Chapter Responds to California Wildfires
- Heroes for Heroes Raises Funds for Local Veterans
- Red Cross Hosting Blood Drive Today
- Community Mourns Loss of Local Hero
- Red Cross provides emergency shelter during snow storm
- Red Cross assists over 20 people after Brittany Village fire
- Local Hero Passes Away, Community Raises Money for Services