(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.)— The St. Joseph Fire Department battled a house fire in midtown Wednesday morning. Visible smoke could be seen coming from the home at 2420 Messanie St. According to fire officials, one person lived in the one-story home with her five dogs with only one dog surviving.
"We have a one-story wood-framed home that had heavy smoke showing when the fire crews showed up," SJFD fire inspector Rob Blizzard said. "One resident, she had five dogs and only one survived. The Red Cross is enroute to help the resident out."
Inspectors said a space heater in the kitchen placed too close to nearby clothes stared the fire. The house was described as a total loss.