(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) The St. Joseph School District announced that they have eliminated over $1 million in administrative positions during the 2017-2018 school year.
According to a press release, the district has eliminated some positions entirely or have in some cases the position has been replaced with a less costly position.
The district says that the Director of Technology, the Director of Data Management and the Director of Food Service positions have been eliminated. In each case, the position was replaced by a lower-payed coordinator or supervisor.
Those departments have been restructured to reduce the number of full-time employees allowing more savings.
The district says they will also be eliminating two principal positions as part of the upcoming school closures which will be replaced with assistant principals, for total cost savings of $71,305 including salaries and benefits.
"Administrative costs make up only six percent of our overall operations budget, a number that has decreased over the last three years," superintendent Robert Newhart says. "That includes our building principals, administrative assistants, human resources department and business department, in addition to district administration."
Newhart added that "The community has a perception that we have high administrative costs, but in actuality we have one of the smallest administrative cost-to-operation cost percentages in the state for public school districts, or other private or non-profit businesses for that matter, and we have worked hard to make that number even smaller with efficiency."
According to the release, the district has eliminated about $125,000 by restructuring curriculum advisors, moving from 16 to five full-time advisors.
The overall reduction in administrator salaries was $1,073,178. Including the curriculum advisor restructuring this is a net reduction of $926,557 figured using current salaries.
- SJSD Cuts Administrative Costs by $1 Million
- SJSD Hires New Administrators
- SJSD to Ponder Budget Cuts to Close $7.5 Million Gap
- State Cuts SJSD transportation funding again
- UPDATE: SJSD to Unify School Schedules, Cut Staff to Save Millions
- SJSD Board of Education Expected to Vote on $7 Million Budget Cuts
- Humboldt, Lake Contrary Closures Top Possible SJSD Budget Cuts
- SJSD wants kids immunized
- Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Against SJSD
- SJSD Superintendent Search: Bill Cowling