(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Volunteers of an area non-profit were hard at work preparing for a drive-thru food bank set for New Year's Eve.
Second Harvest will host a Mega Mobile food pantry on Monday to give some a fresh start with fresh food. The food bank distributes fresh meat and produce to people in St. Joseph and surrounding communities throughout the year.
Blake Haynes, Communications Coordinator of the local Second Harvest, said the mobile pantry fits into the organization's mission to build hunger-free communities.
“It allows them to obtain items like fresh produce and lean protein that are somewhat of a harder commodity to obtain for those who are food insecure,” Haynes said. “We knew we needed to supplement the community in some fashion and having this Mega Mobile will allow those in the community that are in need to come and receive those services.”
Those with a valid pantry ID card can pick up fresh fruits, vegetables and lean proteins for free. Haynes said people can apply for a pantry card at Second Harvest but they must bring a photo ID, social security card and proof of residence.
The Mega Mobile pantry runs from 9 a.m. until noon Monday. Haynes said pantry-goers should enter off Grand Avenue to help with the flow of traffic.
For more information on applying for a pantry ID card or how to volunteer with the Mega Mobile event, contact the food bank at 816-364-3663.
- Mega Mobile Pantry set for Monday
- Second Harvest hosts Mega Mobile
- Mobile Food Pantry Makes Stop in Clarksdale
- Mobile pantry comes to Doniphan county
- Second Harvest creating mobile food pantries throughout St. Joseph
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $512 million
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to a record $1 billion
- $50 million dollar Mega Millions ticket sold in Missouri
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Mobile Home
- New health bus expands mobile health services