(St.Joseph,MO) The Second Harvest Food Bank will soon be able to provide milk for low income families in northwest Missouri.
In an effort to boost the depressed milk markets,the Department of Agriculture purchased Fluid Milk (whole, 2 percent, 1 percent and skim milk) in half gallons to be distributed through The Emergency Food Assistance Program(TEFAP). TEFAP will provide Second Harvest with 225 cases of fresh milk each week beginning in October.
“The president’s program at least to shore up commodity prices was going to be contributions to food banks, and one of those is going to be milk. It’s going to have an impact right here in the district. We are going to see a lot of fresh milk going out to individuals who could use that, who don’t get the opportunity to have fresh milk all the time,” Missouri Representative Sam Graves said.
The local program will kick-off in October and run through March, providing milk to hundreds of people in the area.
“We’ve got about 26 eligible agencies throughout our 15 Missouri counties to distribute that product,”Second Harvest CEO Chad Higdon said.
Higdon said milk has an average shelf life of 12 days, and food bank employees are working on a plan for how to deliver the product in a timely manner before it expires.
“It’s going to be a challenges, obviously we are excited about it, obviously milk is a tremendous product to distribute. We are trying to talk to some of these agencies who can be at churches, can be at small pantries with limited refrigeration. There is certainly some logistical challenges out there, but we are excited and we are trying to get out ahead of it, before we start receiving that first shipment,” Higdon said.
For more information on how to qualify for the milk distribution or other food assistance programs, contact Second Harvest Food Bank at (816) 364-3663.
- Second Harvest to start distributing milk
- Second Harvest to receive milk for first time
- Local Milk Company Introduces New Milk Flavorizers
- Local Farmers Fight Milk Crisis
- 2nd annual Milk Stroll took place Saturday
- Shatto Milk Company celebrates 15th year
- Second Harvest hosts Mega Mobile
- Second Harvest gets $50,000 donation
- Shatto Milk Company releases red velvet milk to honor Patrick Mahomes
- Shatto Milk to release marshmallow cereal milk to highlight Children's Mercy