(ST. JOSEPH, Mo) The St. Joseph Pride Festival was held at Coleman Hawkins Park on Saturday.
The LGBTQ event was sponsored by the Midland Empire Equality Commission and the city of St. Joseph. Organizers said the festival drew around 750 people to the park.
This year's festival was held less than a week after the city's passage of a non-discrimination ordinance.
"It's important to let people know that they can be accepted, and that you're not the only one in town," Daniel Ramming, organizer of the festival, said.
Ramming said the passing of the ordinance was a good start to make the city more inclusive but more work needed to be done.
The festival was moved to September for the first time this year, due to the growing number of pride festivals across the state.
- St. Joseph celebrates LGBTQ pride
- St. Joseph celebrates pride
- Celebrate St. Joseph Founder's Day
- St. Joseph celebrates Trails West
- St Joseph Library celebrates "Frankenweek"
- St. Joseph celebrates Easter Sunday
- St. Joseph schools celebrate Veterans Day
- People in St. Joseph celebrate Robidoux's birthday
- St. Joseph church celebrates specific milestone
- St. Joseph Christmas Decorations