(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) For the first time in 12 years, St. Joseph will be hosting the Special Olympic Missouri Indoor games.
Organizers say not only is this exciting for local athletes, but the event could have a positive impact on our city financially with the two competitions expected to bring in over 1,500 athletes.
"A lot of them will bring parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters to St. Joe to watch them for the weekend to watch the, and in the meantime eat in our restaurants, visit our museums, stay in our hotels," Lindsay Bernard said.
The games are predicted to have close to a million-dollar economic impact on St. Joseph. Organizers say they're working to get local businesses involved in welcoming traveling athletes to the community.
The Special Olympics will need around 400 volunteers for the events and anyone can still get involved.
For more information, visit somo.org/indoor.
- St. Joseph to Host Special Olympics Indoor Games
- Athletes Prepare for Special Olympics Indoor Games
- St Joseph CVB hosts Workshop Tour
- St. Joseph Christmas Decorations
- St. Joseph Mayoral Debate
- St. Joseph native makes special visit to Pony Express statue
- St. Joseph Health Dept. to Host Free Flu Shot Clinic
- Pro-Life groups host rally in St. Joseph
- Descendant of Joseph Robidoux Visits St. Joseph
- Magicians Converge on St. Joseph