(STEWARTSVILLE, Mo.) While the general election approaches, schools are also a pressing issue.
The Stewartsville School District is hoping for upgrades it says was needed decades ago.
50 years later, a temporary add-on is an on-going problem for teachers and students.
"The facility itself is just really dated, was not really supposed to be in existence at this point," Stewartsville teacher Dee Flint said.
The metal building houses Stewartsville elementary classrooms. It was built 50 years ago as a temporary fix, but the building is cold and some kids say they have to wear a coat in class.
"Upstairs they have heating but down here it's just a metal building so it's just really cool because the metal gets cold," fifth grader Collin Lundy said.
The superintendent says access is also a problem.
"Currently where are art room is, we don't have wheelchair accessibility to that part of the building," Stewartsville superintendent Jay Albright said.
Stewartsville voters will have a chance on April 3 to change that. A bond proposal that would finance a $1.1 million elementary wing extension is on the ballot.
"For new classrooms, new nurses office, new restrooms," Albright said.
Grades 2-3 would move into the new building and students think it will make the elementary kids happy.
"This has always been, normally been smaller, and I feel like they will like a more open area," sixth grader Lexi Gann said.
The April 3rd bond issue does not raise taxes. The current bond will be extended 13 years if Stewartsville voters okay the issue.
- Stewartsville School District Hopes to Upgrade Outdated Facility
- Voters Approve Stewartsville School Improvements
- Stewartsville man killed in ATV accident
- Retired District Employee Hopeful For Seat on School Board
- “Remembering Our Fallen” traveling exhibit passes through Stewartsville
- Stewartsville man killed in single-vehicle crash in DeKalb County
- KCP&L plans for meter upgrades
- High School District Basektball Finals
- Council backs school district levy
- SJFD Receives Two Fire Station Upgrades