(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Charges have been filed for a fatal hit-and-run that occurred on Sunday, Nov. 26 in the south side of St. Joseph.
Mickayla Helfrey, 20, was charged with a felony for leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in the death of 30-year-old Randy "Scoti" Hardin as he was riding his motorcycle along Kill Hill Avenue.
According to court documents, at approximately 4 p.m. Helfrey made a left turn from West Kansas Avenue to travel north on to King Hill Avenue with Hardin traveling toward her.
Police said that Helfrey stopped her vehicle and Hardin's motorcycle went down on its side. Hardin was ejected off the bike and struck the front driver's corner of Helfrey's car.
As stated in court documents, Helfrey then allegedly backed up and turned right, leaving the scene.
Hardin later died at the hospital from his injuries.
Helfrey turned herself in to law enforcement approximately two hours later. She told authorities that she left the scene because she had a warrant out of Andrew County.
Helfrey's car was recovered and upon a search of the vehicle, police could smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside through an open window.
According to the probable cause statement, Helfrey has a prior for driving while intoxicated and is on probation for the same charge.
Helfrey also had a warrant for drug possession and failing to appear out of Andrew County at the time of the crash.
- Suspect Charged in Fatal Hit-and-Run
- Mother of Fatal Hit and Run Suspect Speaks Out
- Murder charge filed against DWI-fatality accident suspect
- Police Investigate Hit and Run
- Police looking for suspects in fatal stabbing
- Driver Charged in Fatal Drive-by Shooting
- Suspect charged with murder in fatal shooting of man found dead in backyard
- Man arrested and charged in hit-and-run that injured officer
- Suspect charged after hitting Cameron police officer with vehicle during getaway
- Suspect in police custody after Monday night fatal shooting