(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) It was a day all about recognizing those who have served our country across St. Joseph, a few days before Veteran's Day on November 11.
For Pickett Elementary fifth-grader Caelyn Record, Veteran's Day has a deeper and more familiar meaning as she honored her grandfather Jay Hales who served overseas.
"They should be honored every single day not just one out of 365 days of the year," Record said.
"I served in a unit in Utah, it's a one-way deploy for a desert storm and then when I served at a hospital unit out of Topeka as a nurse anesthetist, I deployed a couple of times to Germany," Hales said. "We're teaching these children that there's great sacrifice for the freedoms that we have."
Pickett Elementary students and staff honored veterans in an assembly they will never forget.
"I believe that all of the veterans around the world have fought for our freedom and sacrifice. They have sacrificed our lives to give us freedom," Record said.
Additionally, for fifth-grader Gavin Miller, his mom is his hero.
"This day is really important to me because my mom was in the Air Force for 20 years and she would go to places for a long time up to weeks to serve our country and it means a lot to me," Miller said.
Over at Carriage Square Health Care and generations apart, the importance of honoring Veteran's Day continued.
"I'm honored to serve when it was necessary," John D. Drysdale, Korean War veteran said.
"I love our country, it means a great deal to me and I would serve again if needed," Hales said.
More Veteran's Day events will be held throughout the city Friday and Saturday November 10 & 11.
- Generations Apart: Students and Veterans Honor Those who Served
- Mount Mora honors WWI veterans
- Memorial Garden Honors Memory of Local Veterans
- "Flags for Fallen Soldiers" honors veterans
- Local WWII veterans honored in Dearborn
- St. Joseph Mustangs honor local military veterans
- Hyde Students Honor Vets with Assembly, Presents Honor Flight Check
- Corby Place Unveils 'Wall of Honor' to Recognize Veterans
- Veterans Day Events Honor Past, Present and Future Military Personnel
- Mosaic Life Care Honors Veteran Caregivers and Patients