(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) A youth outreach program is moving forward with plans to create a hang-out spot for teens and kids on the south-side of St. Joseph.
Southside Youth Outreach hosted a ceremony to kick-off construction of the project. SYO is a division of Midland Ministries.
The Outreach leaders have raised $80,000 to remodel and restore the basement of the Midland Ministries center. The Executive Director of Midland Ministries, Jon Henderson, said the response from the community has made this happen.
"People who believed in young people and realized that this was worth having people of the south side of St. Joe," Henderson said. "We are so excited."
The center is within walking distance of Middle Schools, Elementary Schools and High Schools and across from Hyde Park. Crews worked to clean out the building and get a start on the remodel. SYO leaders said they hope construction is done by September.
The youth center will be open weekdays after school and on weekends.
- Youth center breaks ground for remodel
- Youth Center Asks for Community's Help
- City to donate Fire Station 11 for remodel
- Belt Entertainment to remodel bar area with troubled past
- North Platte Breaks Ground on New Junior High School
- City Breaks Ground on New Open Door Food Kitchen
- Rosecrans Memorial Airport Breaks Ground on Wildlife Fence
- Final fundraiser held before opening of new youth center
- SJPD hosts youth camp
- Salmonella linked to ground beef