Vernon L. Burtner
Vernon L. Burtner, 97, St. Joseph, Missouri, entered eternal rest Saturday, July 21, 2018, at his home at Corby Place Senior Living.
Vernon was born December 25, 1920, in Butler County, Pennsylvania, to Forest and Lena (Giles) Burtner. He was number 10 of 17 children. Vernon served as a ball turret gunner on B-17s during World War II. He married Rosemarie Schellhardt on November 3, 1945. Vernon worked at Kaemmerlen Electric in St Louis for 40 years as an appliance repairman.
He was a loving family man, a devoted Christian and known as Mr. Fix-It to all.
He was preceded in death by his wife; daughters, Gaye Pesout and Susan Costa; and 13 siblings.
Vernon is survived by his son, Tim Burtner (Merry); daughter, Joy Bates (Dan); grandchildren, Stephanie Bates, Brian Bates (Jen), Nick Burtner, and Kelsi Burtner; six great-grandchildren; brothers, Harry and Wendell Burtner; sister, Marilyn Glascow; sons-in-law, Bob Pesout and Rick Costa; and an abundance of nieces and nephews.
A memorial dessert reception (featuring Vernon’s favorite sweets) will be held Sunday, July 29, at 2:30 P.M. on the 14th floor of Corby Place for residents, staff, family, and their close friends. Military internment services will be held at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery on a future date. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Missionary Aviation Fellowship (maf.org) or Three Rivers Hospice. Online guestbook and obituary at www.meierhoffer.com.
- Vernon L. Burtner, 97, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Vernon H. Pettit, 92, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Fern L. Bennett, 97, St. Joseph, Mo.
- Audrey M. Hulser, 97, St. Joseph
- Betty Lou Wiles, 97, Columbia, Missouri formerly of St. Joseph, Missouri
- Clyde "Dugan" Vernon Richardson 86, of Saint Joseph, Missouri
- Joseph J. Rivera, 78, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Brian Joseph Mooney, 43, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Vernon D. Starling, 68, of St. Joseph, MO
- Juanita Faye Wood 97, of St. Joseph, Mo.