ST. JOSEPH - The Chiefs offense has taken over headlines during the offseason. But the group that needed the most attention was the defense. What used to be the strongest part about the Chiefs, is now their weakest. So much so, this year's offseason primarily focused on adding depth to the defense.
"[We] got a lot of young guys and we're going to use them during the season," defensive lineman Chris Jones said. "So we want to get them on board."
12 defensive players on the training camp roster are rookies.
"It's a huge transition from college to the NFL. It's a lot to work with, " Jones continues. "So you know bringing those guys along and showing them the ropes."
Jones adds having the younger guys in camp, pushes the veterans.
"The competition level is high and that's what we want around here. We want to creat a high competition level group of guys who want to get after it."
Chiefs Rookie Derrick Nnadi was drafted to bring some competition to the defensive line. He wants to make sure he was worth the pick.
"They brought me in for a reason, so I want to prove myself," Nnadi said. "Myself and for them that they chose the right person."
Rookie Breeland Speaks may have a tougher task, learning a new position position.
"Definitely some stuff that I'm going to be working on. Especially with Justin Houston, Dee Ford, those guys," Speaks said. "They already brought me under their wing and are really showing me different things."
Speaks not only wants to learn from them, but earn their respect.
"For those guys being able to say oh yeah I want him on the field that makes my day," Speaks added. "Knowing that veterans want to play with me, that's part of my drive also."
- Chiefs Defense Regroups In 2018
- Chiefs finalize defensive coaching staff
- Chiefs Defense Requires Grit And Toughness
- Chiefs Defense led by Eric Berry
- Chiefs fire defensive coordinator Bob Sutton
- Chiefs add defensive back to roster
- Clark brings new attitude to Chiefs' defense
- Fuller excited for different roles in Chiefs defense
- Defense shines for the Chiefs on a record breaking day
- JUST IN: Chiefs hire Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator