KANSAS CITY - In their first game back at Arrowhead since the bitter playoff loss to the Titans, the Chiefs fall in the preseason opener, 17-10.
Mahomes got the start for the Chiefs, but was unable to lead the offense to a score.
In his first as a Chief, quarterback Chad Henne went 5-for-5 on third-down conversions. On his final third-down conversion Henne completed a 24-yard pass to WR Demarcus Robinson for a touchdown, marking the Chiefs first score of the game. He finished the game 8-of-14 for 91 yards with the touchdown and an interception.
On his only drive of the game, late in the fourth quarter, rookie QB Chase Litton led a 22-play, 93-yard drive. On this drive Litton completed 7-of-13 pass attempts for 66 yards converting four third downs.
On defense, rookie linebacker Ben Niemann led the team with five tackles (four solo) while corner back Steven Nelson tallied four tackles (three solo). Corner back Kendall Fuller and rookies linebacker Raymond Davison and defensive back D’Montre Wade each recorded one pass defensed. Niemann added one tackle for loss (-3 yards) in the game.
The Chiefs return to St. Joseph for the last week of training camp Saturday for practice at 8:15 a.m.
- Chiefs fall in preseason opener to Texans
- Chiefs run past Cincinnati in preseason opener
- Chiefs suffer second loss of the season to the Texans
- Chiefs fall to Steelers in preseason game Saturday night
- Chiefs Preseason Opponents Set for 2019
- Chiefs score 41-unanswered in comeback win versus Texans in AFC Divisional Round
- Chiefs head coach Andy Reid says Patrick Mahomes will start in preseason opener
- 5 storylines to watch for in the Chiefs' preseason opener against the Bengals
- Large crowds turn out for Chiefs open practice
- Mahomes, 1st-string offense plays well in preseason loss to 49ers