(PITTSBURGH, Pa.)—Patrick Mahomes has already put his name in the record book next to former Super Bowl champions Drew Brees and Peyton Manning.
"This was a big one for him," Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said. "A big test."
Mahomes threw for six touchdowns, which gives him 10 in two weeks—a new NFL record, in the Kansas City's 42-37 victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"I think it speaks to the weapons we have on offense," Mahomes said. "They can't stop everybody, so for me, it's just about getting it to the guy who has the man-to-man coverage or has the open area."
Mahomes and the Chiefs offense opened up the game with 3 first quarter touchdowns—giving Kansas City an early 21-0 lead.
"Those guys were getting open today," Mahomes said. "The offensive line was blocking great, so it made my job a lot easier."
The 22-year-old quarterback—who turns 23 Monday—hit eight different receivers Sunday.
Tight end Travis Kelce finished the afternoon with seven receptions for 109 yards and two touchdowns, wide receiver Sammy Watkins added in six receptions and 100 yards, and wide receiver Tyreek Hill caught six balls for 90 yards and a score.
"I thought we had a good look in the film at what they're going to do," Mahomes said. "They were switching up coverage. They got me a few times on blitzes and I just got it out of my hand and guys were getting open, so we could keep progressing and moving the football down the field."
Through two games this season, Mahomes has thrown for 582 yards and 10 touchdowns, just the third quarterback since 1970 to throw for at least nine touchdowns throughout his team's first two games.
Sunday's victory was the first time the Chiefs have won in Pittsburgh since 1986.
The Chiefs (2-0) come home to Kansas City next Sunday for their first home game of the 2018 season. Kansas City takes on San Francisco.
- Mahomes sets NFL record in victory against Pittsburgh
- Patrick Mahomes excited for 'Mahomes Magic Crunch'
- Mahomes wins NFL Pro Bowl AFC offensive MVP
- Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes named 2018 NFL MVP
- Mahomes sets another touchdown record as Chiefs top 49ers, move to 3-0
- Clark Hunt impressed with Mahomes
- Chief's Mahomes benefits from QB team
- Mahomes ready for challenge at New England
- Mahomes throws six touchdowns in Chiefs win over Steelers
- Mahomes leads Chiefs 4th quarter comeback, tops Broncos