MARYVILLE, Mo. - Western football fought hard from the start, but fall to No. 5 Northwest Missouri Thursday night, 28-6.
The Western defense forced a three-and-out on the Bearcats' first offensive drive. Giving the Griffons some momentum out of the gate. The Griff had the first scoring chance of the game, driving to the Bearcats 27-yard line before Tyler Basch missed a 44-yard field goal attempt.
Still in the first Northwest redshirt freshman quarterback Braden Wright connected with junior receiver Jaime Taylor on a 52-yard touch down pass to give the Bearcats a 7-0 lead.
Basch had another opportunity to make good on the first field goal. Drilling a 36-yard field goal to make it 7-3 in the second quarter.
Following the field goal, Wright went deep again on a 60-yard touchdown pass to senior Shawn Bane Jr. to take a 14-3 lead earlier in the second.
Former Griffon, Josh Caldwell, scored his first touchdown as a Bearcat on a three-yard swing pass from Wright with late in the half to make it 21-3.
Basch drilled a 20-yard field goal with 13:00 left in the fourth quarter to make it 21-6
Wright capped his debut with a 34-yard rushing touchdown with 7:06 remaining in the game to give the Bearcats the 28-6 victory.
Keylan Mack racked up seven receptions for 67 yards, while Dom Marino went 18-37 with 226 yards.
The Griffons open their home slate hosting No. 5 Fort Hays State on Thursday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m.
Jack Richards tallied a game-high 13 tackles, while Andy Hessler secured 10 tackles and 4.0 tackles-for-loss.
The Bearcats will be back in action next Thursday at 6 p.m. in Topeka, Kansas, taking on the Washburn Ichabods.
- Western falls to No. 5 Northwest Thursday
- Western Volleyball falls to Northwest Tuesday night
- HIGHLIGHTS: Western tops Northwest in slug-fest
- Western and Northwest represented among football post season awards
- Missouri Western men's basketball struggle with rival Northwest
- HIGHLIGHTS: Western women punch their ticket to KC, beating Northwest
- HIGHLIGHTS: No. 1 Northwest escapes upset bid against Western
- Former Northwest and Western running back signs to Chiefs
- Missouri Western meets Northwest in the season opener
- Missouri Western, Northwest volleyball battle in Maryville Wednesday night