(EVANSVILLE, Ind.) — No. 1 Northwest takes down Point Loma in the NCAA Division II Men’s Basketball National Championship, 64-58 finish the season a perfect 38-0.
Northwest becomes only the fifth program to complete a perfect season (38-0) and win the national title.
The Bearcats had the challenge of not only beating no. 6 ranked Point Loma, but the NABC Division II player of the year Daulton Hommes. The junior Sea Lion dropped a team high 26-points in the loss.
For the Bearcats, senior Joey Witthus capped off a career year at Northwest by scoring 24-points. Diego Bernard added 14 points,Trevor Hudgins scored 12 points and dished out six assists. Ryan Hawkins grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds and four steals
Hudgins was named the Most Outstanding Player at the Elite Eight, joining Witthus to the Elite Eight All-Tournament team.
- Northwest Men's basketball finishes perfect season as national champions
- HIGHLIGHTS: Northwest Men stay unbeaten
- Northwest Men top Emporia State
- Missouri Western men's basketball struggle with rival Northwest
- Northwest picked to finish 1st in MIAA, Griffons tabbed 9th
- Northwest Basketball programs ready for new year
- Benedictine mens basketball season ends in double overtime to Pikeville
- Northwest takes down defending national champs Ferris State 100-86 in Small College Basketball Hall of Fame
- HIGHLIGHTS: Northwest Men cruise to win over Tabor (Kan.)
- No. 2 Northwest men dominate Texas A&M-International