(MARYVILLE, Mo.)— Northwest Missouri State University sophomore Mallory McConkey will play basketball in Spain this June.
"This is really cool— going to Europe," McConkey said.
McConkey's head coach Austin Meyer approached her and a few others on the Bearcats team about playing in Spain. McConkey was interested and she will be heading there in less than two months.
"A kid from a town as small as she's from to be able to do that at this point in college, I think is a huge deal," Meyer said.
McConkey played high school basketball at South Nodaway, a high school with approximately 50 students, and is now playing in the 2019 Division II Spain Women's Basketball Tour.
"She made huge strides from when I came in April last year to where she's at now and you could kind of tell preseason, she was one of our hardest workers," Meyere said.
McConkey will spend 11 days in Spain and will leave on June 3rd.
- Northwest sophomore Mallory McConkey to play basketball in Spain this summer
- Northwest Basketball programs ready for new year
- SJC sophomore brings football passion from Germany to America
- Northwest men look to stay hot in MIAA play
- Missouri Western men's basketball struggle with rival Northwest
- Northwest's Witthus named MIAA basketball athlete of the week
- Northwest Men's basketball finishes perfect season as national champions
- Northwest tames Lindenwood Saturday
- Back at the Crossfit Games: Savannah sophomore competes in world competition
- HIGHLIGHTS: Northwest Men stay unbeaten