(RUSHVILLE, Mo.)- The DeKalbe Tigers spent several years battling at the top of the now-defunct Platte Valley Conference, but Tigers haven't started off well in the 275 Conference. DeKalb aims to prove they're a new and better team this year.
"The good thing about this team is they've seen the down times," Head coach Kaleb Wardlow said. "We've seen really, really low."
The DeKalb Tigers own just one win over the last two seasons and it's not a record this group has shied away from because it is giving the group an opportunity to learn from the mistakes.
"The biggest motivating factor is we've been pushed around a lot and we have a lot of talent and it's just not all being put together, so we're really trying to strive to be better than in previous years," Senior Joseph Lofland said.
Two years ago, DeKalbe finised the season with just nine players. Fast forward and the Tigers have doubled, giving them plenty of reason to feel optimistic.
"More people have started going around school as seniors saying, I should have played and it's just due to the amount of fun and the amount of time and effort we put into it as a team and how much fun we have," Senior Montgomery Mydland said.
With a new found energy and optimism for the 2018 season, DeKalb seems poised to go out and prove its a team that can contend in the 275 Conference.
"With the same group of kids running this stuff, we don't have to break it down for the little minute details and build up from there," Wardlow said. "They should already have that established, so we build on the more complexed things and hopefully we take another step- moving forward."
The DeKalb Tigers open the 2018 season on the road against the Rock Port Blue Jays.
- Pigskin Preview: DeKalb aims to compete for 275 Conference title
- Pigskin Preview: Stewartsville Cardinals
- Pigskin Preview: Maryville ready to defend state title
- Pigskin Preview kicks off Monday night
- Pigskin Preview: Central Ready for Fresh Start
- Pigskin Preview: Blue Jays ready to fly
- Pigskin Preview: Savannah ready for week one
- Pigskin Preview: Lathrop begins redemption season
- Pigskin Preview: New beginning for Plattsburg Tigers
- Pigskin Preview: Doniphan West ready to run