(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.)— Lafayette junior Jori Winn knew she wanted to redeem herself after allowing Mid-Buchanan to tie the game on a passed ball in seventh inning Monday night.
"I was kind of down on myself and I was like, I have to make it up to myself for my team, so I really felt bad and then I was up in the count and was just looking for a pitch to hit and she gave me one," Winn said.
With the Fighting Irish down one, 3-2, in the bottom of the seventh inning, Winn just needed to knock in the runner to tie it back up to keep Lafayette's chances alive, but instead Winn had a better idea.
She hit her first career high school walk-off home run to give Lafayette the dramatic 4-3 victory.
"She probably puts more time in hitting than anybody else and started off the year not doing as well as she thinks she should be doing and I believe in her," Lafayette head coach Jeff Leake said. "She got a chance to get us a win and she did it."
Lafayette hosts St. Pius tonight at Heritage Park.
- Winn's walk-off gives Lafayette win against Mid-Buchanan
- Mid-Buchanan tops East Buchanan in Battle of the Buchanan's
- East Buchanan, Mid-Buchanan meet in district semifinals Friday night
- Strong first half propels Mid-Buchanan to KCI win
- Mid-Buchanan tops Lawson in KCI showdown
- Mid-Buchanan races past Hogan Prep
- Pigskin Preview: Mid-Buchanan building more than just football players
- Mid-Buchanan tops Wolverines, moves to 2-0 on the season
- Mid-Buchanan tops Bulldogs, advance to district championship
- Mid-Buchanan captures 1st district title since 2003